Prevention is the best defense when it comes to house fires and commercial fires. This is why today, we have come up with a simple checklist to help you avoid fire and smoke damage.
Help Avoid Fire and Smoke Damage With This Simple Checklist
Here is our simple checklist that will help you avoid fire and smoke damage in your home and business.
- Check the batteries in your fire alarms, test the units, and replace the expired ones
- Check the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarms, test the units, and replace the expired ones
- Test all fire extinguishers, replace the expired ones, and make sure that access is easy and unobstructed
- Clean the fireplaces and the chimneys
- Clean the furnaces
- Clean the dryer vents
- Test, clean, and maintain heaters as required
- Test all windows for correct opening and closing
- Unplug all unused electrical items
- Check the lengths of all electrical cables and wires for damage or exposure and replace them accordingly.
- Check for overloaded electrical outlets and remove excess power loads
- Check electrical outlets for damage or heating, and replace them accordingly
- Store batteries and other combustible items in a safe place (ideally a fireproof cabinet)
- Ensure that flammable materials and combustible items are away from electrical panels, outlets, heaters, fire sources, and other fire hazards
- Ensure that your house number is visible from the street for first responders to find your home in an emergency easily
For additional safety of human life and to protect your home and loved ones, check the following points.
- Create an emergency contact list, distribute it among the household, and display a copy in your main living area
- Create an unobstructed escape route, evacuation plan, and a list of actions, including separate day and night procedures (practice evacuation drills every season)
This checklist is a simple yet effective one that can help avoid fire and smoke damage. Of course, you can do plenty of other things, which we can discuss another time in a more comprehensive list.
For now, make sure you tick everything above and call Major Restoration with any questions or for help with fire and smoke damage restoration services in case of any unfortunate events.
If you want to learn more about avoiding fire and smoke damage or about our comprehensive restoration services, please visit our website today.