Summers in York, PA – they can be real scorchers, can’t they? When the heat is on, our air conditioners are there to cool us down. But have you ever stopped to consider the risks that could come with your air conditioning unit? It’s not something we like to think about, but it’s important to know the facts.
Your air conditioner works hard, cooling down your home by pulling moisture out of the air. But what happens to all that water? It usually gets drained away safely, but sometimes things go wrong.
To keep your home safe from water damage:
- Do a little detective work – regularly check your unit and make sure it’s draining the way it should.
- Keep things clear – make sure the drainage system isn’t blocked by anything. Check the drainage line from your condensate pump. A clogged drain line is a common source of water damage.
- Keep an eye out – the water shouldn’t pool around your unit, and nearby walls or ceilings should stay dry.
And remember, if water damage sneaks up on you, don’t worry! Major Restoration Services has your back with our emergency cleanup water mitigation services.
That moisture your air conditioner pulls from the air can also be a perfect invitation for mold to move in. And let’s be honest; mold is a guest no one wants in their home.
To keep mold at bay:
- Maintenance is key – make sure your air conditioning unit is well-maintained and gets plenty of ventilation.
- Consider a dehumidifier – they can help keep your home’s humidity levels in check. Buy an inexpensive thermal hygrometer (fancy term for moisture meter) and maintain a relative humidity of 50% or less.
- Trust your nose – if you smell something musty or see any signs of mold around your unit, it’s time to call in the pros.
And don’t forget Major Restoration Services can help with safe and efficient mold remediation.
This one might surprise you, but air conditioners can also pose a fire risk. It’s not common, but it’s something to be aware of.
To keep your home safe from fire:
- Schedule regular check-ups – have a professional inspect your unit regularly.
- Keep it clear – don’t store flammable materials near your air conditioning unit.
- Change your filter regularly – most high-quality filter manufacturers recommend changing your filter every three months.
- If you don’t replace the filter frequently enough, you could have higher electric bills, poor temperature regulation, health concerns, equipment failures, and in rare cases, the filter could get sucked into the system, which could cause a fire.
In case the unthinkable happens, and a fire does occur, we’re here for you with our 24/7 emergency response. Major Restoration Services is always ready to help with fire damage cleanup and full-service rebuilding.
So there you have it! Yes, there are risks associated with air conditioning damage, but with a little knowledge and some simple precautions, you can keep your home safe. And remember, whatever the issue, Major Restoration Services is always here to help.
Here’s to a cool and safe summer in York, PA! Call us 24/7, 365 days a year, and we’ll be there for you!